1. In Only God Forgives Ryan Gosling’s character only speaks 22 lines throughout the entire film.
2. For the role, Gosling underwent rigorous Muay Thai training and ate a traditional Thai diet.
3. (SPOILER!) It was Ryan’s idea to open the stomach of his character’s dead mother in Only God Forgives.
Director Nicholas Winding Refn asked him if he’d rather smile or cry after his character’s mother had died. He replied that he’d (wait for it…) open her uterus to see what’s inside.
4. Ryan Gosling had to beat out Adam Brody, Joel Edgerton, Luke Evans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the part of Sgt. Jerry Wooters in Gangster Squad.
5. In the film, Gosling’s character makes a joke where he claims Mickey Mouse is the only famous Mickey he’s heard of. Gosling, of course, got his start on The Mickey Mouse Club many moons ago.
6. According to Ryan, all the bank robbery scenes in The Place Beyond the Pines were shot in one take.
7. A big part of the appeal of Pines for Gosling, was doing something on screen he had always wanted to do in real life: rob a bank.
8. In the opening scene at the fairgrounds, several assistant directors wore Dr. Seuss hats to distract extras from not looking at shirtless Ryan Gosling walking into a circus tent.
And that worked…how?
9. Director Derek Cianfrance shot 22 takes of Gosling performing a stunt of speeding the motorcycle past the intersection before 36 cars crash. For each take, Ryan chewed his shirt in nervousness until there was a hole in it.
11. In preparation for his role in Drive, Gosling restored the 1973 Chevy Malibu that his character uses in the film.
You have to admit, the man is good with his hands.
12. The scorpion jacket Gosling wears in Drive is very fitting-Ryan’s sign is a Scorpio.
13. Gosling and Carey Mulligan’s characters say very little to each other. This is because both actors refused to say many of the scripted lines.
Mulligan summarized making the film as “staring longingly at Ryan Gosling for hours each day.”
14. Ryan Gosling built the kitchen table featured in The Notebook as preparation for his role as Noah.
15. The second half of the movie (set 7 years later) was filmed first, then the cast and crew went on holiday vacation. Ryan had to lose 20 lbs he’d put on to play the older Noah and come back and play young Noah.
16. Ryan Gosling prepared for his role by living in Charleston, South Carolina before filming began. And for two months, he rowed the Ashley River in the morning.
17. While filming, Ryan had to wear brown contacts because the older version of himself, James Garner, has brown eyes.
18. To help Ryan stay in character for his role in Lars and the Real Girl, the doll was treated like a member of the cast. She was dressed privately in her own trailer and was only present for scenes that she was in.
19. In Half Nelson, the scene wear Ryan picks up a cat on his way to Frank’s house was improvised. Ryan saw the stray cat while filming the scene, and wanted to pick it up.
20. Rachel McAdams came to visit then boyfriend Ryan on set of The Half Nelson, and because they were running low on extras, she volunteered herself for a bar scene.
Unfortunately, her scene never made it into the final cut of the film.
21. Ryan doesn’t believe in muscles. After working out religiously for his part in Crazy, Stupid, Love he told Extra: “That was a lot of work. It’s such a waste of time. It takes so much time to make muscles and then they don’t really do anything.”
Except make us swoon?
All facts via IMDB.
The post 21 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Favorite Ryan Gosling Flicks appeared first on Diet Guide To Everything.